[Samba] authentication performance problem

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Thu Apr 6 18:32:14 GMT 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 15:08 +0200, Jerome Warnier wrote:
> Nobody has any idea about this? Any idea would probably help.
>
> Thanks

I wish I did have an idea. I am experiencing a similar issue with HUGE
AD lookups causing delays on the order of 30 seconds to do bash
tab-completion.

We are using 3.0.20a at the moment, but this problem has existed since
at least 3.0.2

We have some where in the area of 1200 groups and (nested groups) and
one personal group for every user and multiple groups of those groups.
Even conglomerations of everybody's personal group being in "Domain
Users" We also have about 20 AD peers with no PDC/BDC setups. About 6
"DOMAINS" all with "inter-trusts" and 1 domain that isn't trusted at
all.

Don't ask me why it was done this way, the Windows Admin that plunged us
into it has been long gone. And nobody trusts what I say about AD, as I
am one hellish of an Anti-Microsoft anything bigot. The lookups are near
instantaneous on the windows side of things.

I am at a loss as well.
greg, greg at gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, Better, Faster: Linux

Use Debian GNU/Linux, its a bazaar thing

NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the
National Security Agency may have read this email
without warning, warrant, or notice, and certainly
without probable cause. They may do this without
any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no
recourse nor protection.