[Samba] Info required

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Thu Apr 6 04:37:21 GMT 2006

Jeremy Allison wrote:

>On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 03:56:24PM +0100, Hisham.Ahammed at uk.ngrid.com wrote:
>

>>Hi Samba Team,
>>
>>We are currently running on Samba 2.2.3a version. As part of the technology
>>upgrade, management is willing to upgrade the current samba versions of  in
>>production machines. Can you please tell me how long I can use the 2.2.3a
>>version? And if you suggest me to upgrade to a higher version, which
>>version will best suite for us ?.
>>

>You can use any version of Samba for any reason as long as it's
>useful to you, that's why it's Free Software !
>
>I'd suggest to keep up with the latest releases though if you
>can, as they have the latest security fixes.
>
>Jeremy.

I'm not part of the team but I have been using Samba for many years. My
experience is the upgrade from 2.2 to 3.0 will likely be quite smooth. I
highly recommend doing it. I believe, and someone on the team should be
able to verify this, that you can keep 2.2.x member servers in a 3.0
domain, if that helps with your migration.

I would assume that your technology upgrade likely includes new servers
and new operating systems. If so, the new operating system probably
comes with a version of Samba that you should use. Your OS vendor will
be providing security updates to the version they ship. Again, this is
almost certainly a 3.0.x version.