[Samba] smbstatus doesn't show client names

Kristaps Rāts krx at it-depo.lv
Tue Apr 4 09:55:41 GMT 2006

Almost a week has passed without a reply so I'm reposting this, if any
configuration snippets are required to get a clearer picture I will post
them. Thanks in advance.

Original post:

Hi,
not really a problem, but it's annoying: when I run smbstatus on my PDC
it shows the ip addresses, not the netbios names of clients. The PDC is
3.0.21a,
acting as a wins server (name resolution from the clients works fine),
the clients are 3.0.14a samba and Windows XP. Has anyone seen this
before and/or knows how to fix it?