[Samba] User groups

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Mon Apr 3 16:22:28 GMT 2006

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, Cybionet wrote:

> Wlcome in the club :-)
>
> I wrote a topic "Limit of group membership for a user?" with the same
> problem, and I don't have any answer by the samba team. I have the most
> recent Samba 3.0.21b, OpenLDAP 2.2.28 and Glibc 2.3.6 version on a Gentoo
> (kernel 2.6.15) and I have the same problem. I check the NGROUP_MAX (65535)
> and the NSS_BUFLEN_GROUP (2048) value of the glibc.
>
> For the AMD64 environment I have a limit of 66 groups for a user, but
> suprise, on the x86 environment I stop to count at 83 groups for a user (but
> it is not the limit). I continu the test this week.

>From my limited memory of this issue on Linux, the problem is not the
number of users in a group, but the total length of the membership string.
So the number of users that can be in a group may also depend on the
length of all their usernames.

I have no idea if glibc has changed, but a long time ago it was a fixed
length char array that stored the group membership.  This doesn't really
help your issue, but hopefully it provides more information.

 	Andy