[Samba] group name in valid user

De Francesco Pierpaolo, IT pierpaolo.defrancesco at pirelli.com
Fri Sep 30 16:17:21 GMT 2005

Hi,
i've encountered a problem configuring the smb.conf... i must grant access i a share dir on a hp-ux server (11.11 with official HP samba 3.0.7 depot... maybe patch level to 3.0.14)
i've write
valid user = @group_name
in [share_name] session of smb.conf

We have just implemented the integration with the windows 2003 active directory domain for the validation using kerberos protocol... all work fine, but a group name (due to policy) is over 32 char... and, i've noticed that if i specify a group name length more than 32 char, samba don't grant access to the share...
the group, of course, is present in /etc/group and smb.conf... we have try to cut off char and we have noticed this behavior...

Exemple:
valid user = @123456789012345678901234567890123                 KO
valid user = @12345678901234567890123456789012                   OK

This 'limitation' was resolved in some new release?
Existe another way or workaround to solve the problem?

thanks a lot
Pierpaolo

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This message and its attachments (if any) may contain confidential,
proprietary or legally privileged information and it is intended only for
the use of the addressee named above. No confidentiality or privilege
is waived or lost by any mistransmission.

notified that you must not use, disseminate, copy it in any form or take
any action in reliance on it. If you have received this message in error,
please, delete it (and any copies of it) and kindly inform the sender, of this
e-mail, by replying or go to www.pirelli.com on "contact us".