[Samba] Differences with net join

Ric Tibbetts rtibbetts at lanl.gov
Fri Sep 30 16:01:45 GMT 2005

All;
I'm getting closer to tracking down my problem (I hope).

Since I want samba to verify the windows users from the Windows
domain, I did the usual net join. But it still doesn't get the users
from there, I still need an smbpasswd file.

So... now the question (for the real samba gurus):
Is there a substantial difference between:

net ads join -w <domain/workgroup>

and

net rpc join -w <domain/workgroup> ?

I did the "net rpc ...." because I don't have ads compiled in (owing
to the problems with IBMs implementation of Kerberos not being
compatable with Samba..).

BTW: The join was successful, but Samba isn't pulling user IDs from
there. To do what I need to, do I HAVE to have ads compiled in?

Thanks again!

-ric