[Samba] Roaming profiles not supporting quota

Wolfgang Ratzka ratzka at hrz.uni-marburg.de
Fri Sep 30 13:03:11 GMT 2005

Allori Lorenzo schrieb:

> Here is my problem: if a user copies a big file to the desktop (bigger than the quota set for that
> user), when he logs off, the profile wont syncronize with the server with the message "disk full".
>
> Is there a way to let the WinXp client to understand how much space is available also for the local
> profile that must be syncronized later with the server?
>
> In other words: how can i manage to solve this problem not having to make mandatory profiles? I
> want the users to do whatever they want with the quota i gave them.

Limiting the size of roaming profiles is a good idea anyway.
You can use policies to move some folders (e.g. the Desktop
folder) out of the profile (e.g. into a subdirectory of the user's
homedirectory).
And you can use policies to tell windows to enforce a size limit
for the roamin profile. (NB: for replication to work you will need windows
to limit the profile size to half the quota size. Of course, you
will need to have separate quota for profile directory and user home
directory.)

http://www.pcc-services.com/custom_poledit.html looks like
a nice starting point for using profiles on samba.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang Ratzka
--
Wolfgang Ratzka  Phone: +49 6421 2823531  FAX: +49 6421 2826994
Uni Marburg,  HRZ, Hans-Meerwein-Str., D-35032 Marburg, Germany