[Samba] Unnecessary smbpasswd

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Sep 29 19:16:07 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 14:57 -0400, Gary Dale wrote:
> Jeremy Allison wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 11:17:29AM -0600, Ric Tibbetts wrote:
> >

> >>Beyond that: You are a poster child for the anti-open source software
> >>group. It's sad that a request for help is met with attitudes such as
> >>yours, and become confrontational.
> >>

> >There are ways of asking for help, and some are better than others. I
> >have infinite patience with people who are trying to learn the concepts.
> >I have less patience with people who claim to have set up many servers
> >and yet display ignorance with basic concepts. Remember, my reputation
> >is tied stringly with this software - if you claim you are a competent
> >admin yet you error report is that the software fails "randomly"
> >with "stupid error messages" (both of which you did) I hope you might
> >realize you're going to get a somewhat sharper response.
> >

> >>Thanks for the help.
> >>

> >Glad I was able to point you in the right direction.
> >
> >Jeremy.
> >

> A counter-argument is that if you've made it easy to set up servers (a
> good thing), then people don't need to know the nitty-gritty details.
>
> For myself, I've set up a few samba 3 PDCs and have been using samba for
> file sharing since v1.9x, but would hardly consider myself an expert.
> Over the last few months I've had to dig deeper into the bowels of samba
> than I really like, and without success. That's why I've posted messages
> several times asking for direction on why I can log on from XP Pro but
> not change my password.
>
> So far, I've received only a response asking for which exact version of
> Samba I was running, but no clues as to how to track down the problem. I
> appreciate the work the developers are doing, and I realize that
> answering every question is impossible, but I really need some help here!
----
I would respectfully say that samba.org has the best documentation in
the open source world - bar none - and people seem to think that they
are gonna get help without giving evidence that they have digested the
documentation.

The issue is that there are so many variations to how it samba is set up
and used, a moving target presented by Microsoft with even seemingly
innocuous things like their latest service packs and integration with
things that aren't distributed by samba.org at all such as kerberos that
I simply have to smile at your counter argument.

There is no substitute for understanding what you are doing.

If you want to try to set things up without learning what you are doing,
stick with Samba by Example - http://www.samba.org.docs/man/Samba-Guide/

If you want to learn what is going on, their "How-To" is the thing to
review. - http://www.samba.org/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/

If you had gone through these and still have a problem, this list an a
good place for help.

Craig

believed to be clean.