[SAMBA] Best practice in small office

jonlists at cbsol.com jonlists at cbsol.com
Thu Sep 29 18:56:34 GMT 2005

samba-bounces+jonlists=cbsol.com at lists.samba.org wrote on 09/28/2005
08:42:48 AM:

> As for laptops, still looking for a good solution there.  The one laptop
> I have setup (out of three) uses roaming profiles and offline files for
> the user's home directory.  This is rather kludgy, though, but I don't
> really know of any way to have someone log onto the domain with a local
> profile.  (Plus she uses regular workstations, so getting info synced
> between the server and the laptop would be tricky.)

For mobile users, I've been messing around with iFolder. Haven't quite
gotten there yet, but the idea would be that the iFolder server would be
universally accessible (internal/external). This would allow users to sync
their files regardless of where on the planet they were at any given
moment.

I have it running under OES (Novell) okay, but there are some howto's out
there on setting it up as a stand-alone. Anyone else using iFolder 3 yet?

Jon Johnston
Creative Business Solutions
IBM, Microsoft, Novell/Suse, Sophos Consultants
http://www.cbsol.com
blog:http://bingo.cbsol.com