[Samba] Tree connect failed: ERRDOS - ERRnomem

Colin Ingram synergymus at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 22:45:58 GMT 2005

leavenode.20.eatallspam at spamgourmet.com wrote:

> Hi Colin,

>> no problem...me too
>>

> Well, you need to be subscribed to be able to post there?

actually you don't but I am sure that is the preferred method.  It justs
takes little longer for you message to arrive since it has to be
approved.  I am sending this back to lists with updated information.

>> the share name is actually //buckwheat/share I was trying to mount on
>> directory buckwheat/
>>

> Somehow misleading, indeed :)

> Usually such messages are accompanied by a hundred nmbd processes
> hanging around waiting for name resolution (and eating up all memory).
> Did you try a ps -ef or similar command when you got the message?

yep...everything seems in order

>> I did not put this in my original email because it is complete
>> speculation
>> but do you think this could have been caused from booted the afflicted
>> system with a knoppix cd.  What I'm thinking is that the wins server
>> somehow got confused when a new host with the same ip/mac address.  I
>> think the records stay around for a long time.  I experienced this
>> earlier when I switch my server to a new system and name, but same
>> mac/ip.  I think I eventually had to purge samba from my system and
>> reinstall to get the network working.
>>

> Sounds reasonable, at least my name resolution theory with the mass of
> hanging nmbd processes (had that long ago but don't actually remember
> the circumstances) is applicable.
> You won't, however, need to trash all your samba and resinstall - just
> find out about wins.dat, browse.dat, gencache.tdb and connections.tdb
> - my 3.020 stores them in /var/cache/samba - and delete them.

I tried deleting browse.dat but this didn't make a difference.  I don't
have wins.dat, gencache.tdb, or connections.tdb.  Should I?????

> When you put "wins support = yes" in your smb.conf, don't forget to
> also put "options netbios-name-servers <ip-of-your-samba>" in
> /etc/dhcpd.conf if you use dhcp to assign ips, or - on the clients -
> use tcpip-properties-advanced-wins settings tab to insert the server
> there.

I've done this already.  smb.conf and dhcpd.conf attached