[Samba] roaming profile problem--file in use

Zach uid000 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 20:10:34 GMT 2005

On 9/28/05, Zach <uid000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Same OLD - Same OLD
> > > Typical typical typical...
> > > Then it gives you a temporary profile and another message about loosing it
> > > when you log out...
> > >
> > > Firstly a copy of your precious smb.conf file and all you secret details
> > > replaced with fake details would be in order. :)
> > >
> > > Secondly an exact type out (He he) of the Winblows errors and the order in
> > > which they occur is important.
> > >
> > > Thirdly ...  have you applied the registry patch to the winblows PCs?
> > >
> > > Lastly where is your profile on the server and does the %U user have the
> > > correct perms on the folder and in smb.conf under that users shares.
> > > 777 perms might work but usually don't I prefer 774 or 775 then its happy.
> > > If you made like me ( RAMBO ) and decided it would be better to have the user
> > > profile in /home/username/profile/ then I suggest that if you want it to work
> > > you'd better create the folder appropriately. Otherwise dumb, stupid windows
> > > won't create it. And then gets cheeky and swears at you.
> > >
> > > I have found that between samba PDC and windows PDC I have a problem deciding
> > > which one of the two will send me to a mental home first. They both have pro
> > > and CONs. But the linux one once correctly administrated just runs and runs
> > > and runs an.. OK! :}
> > >

> > > If you want my advise, use samba with LDAP and use webmin to cluster your
> > > servers for easy administration.
> > >
> > > But be warned, first setup up all your services manually and make backups,
> > > webmin on occasion misses the point of the setup you created and messes
> > > things up.
> > >
> > > Chow for NOW and good luck...
> > > --
> > > Chadley Wilson
> >

> > Yep, you nailed the problem exactly.
> >
> > I'll post my smb.conf when I get a chance, hopefully later today.
> > However, the weird thing is that it's working, and has been working,
> > A-Ok for the other XP SP2 machines.  This *feels* machine-specific,
> > which doesn't make sense.
> >
> > As far as the registry patch, I assume you mean the Sign or Seal one?
> > I believe so, but I'll double check.  However that wouldn't explain
> > why it was working fine, then all of a sudden the problem popped up
> > again for no good reason.
> >
> > As far as the way the profile directories, etc are laid out, it's not
> > the most sensible scheme, because I was still a n00b a few years ago
> > (Remember, RH9) when I was setting it up.  But the profiles directory
> > itself is set to 777, and the individual users' profile directories,
> > e.g. profiles/user1/; are 740 and are owed user1:sambausers.
> >
> > I do plan to move to a samba/ldap combination soon, but it's a work in
> > progress on the workbench right now :-).
> >
> As promised, here is my smb.conf.  I've stripped out comments for
> compactness.  Also, just a caveat: I put this together a few years
> ago.  I was a noob back then so if there are some things that are
> wacky that's why.  I'm in the process of building a new system to
> [...]
Hi,

I've been troubleshooting this problem some more.  By turning on
debugging to Verbose|Logfile for userenv.dll, per the Samba.org HOWTO
guide, I have been able to capture a detailed log of what happens when
the roaming profile is loaded.  It appears that after the profile
share is mounted to a temporary drive letter, the contents of the
profile are then inventoried.  Then the system begins copying files
from the profile to .tmp files under c:\Documents and Settings\user1\.
 When the system attempts to rename the files from .tmp to whatever
the file should actually be named it gets an error be cause the file
is in use.  The error is 32.

I can post the log if anyone would be willing to look at it to help me
troubleshoot what might be going wrong.  I would appreciate any help.
I'm pulling my hair out.

Thanks
Zach