[Samba] Samba and OS X 10.4.2 - vfs quota inheritance not correct

Elizabeth Schwartz betsy.schwartz at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 19:06:33 GMT 2005

We're running Samba 3.0.20 on a Solaris 9 server, using the Blastwave build.
smb.conf file is below. Our user homes are on a Veritas file system with
vxquota enabled, usually 50M per user, and then users have links under their
home dirs to file systems with larger quotas or no quotas.

For example, /home/joeuser has a 50M vxquota, but /home/joeuser/aux is a
softlink to /vol/aux on which joeuser has a vxquota of a gig, and
/home/joeuser/nettmp is a softlink to /vol/nettmp which is a VERY LARGE file
system with NO quotas (that gets wiped every 24 hours)

With Windows and OS X 10.3.x clients, this works fine. However, OS X
10.4.2clients are incorrectly getting the home directory quota limit
applied to
any subdirectory, and these users can't write ANY large files ANYWHERE on
the system. This is pretty bad.

I know this is more likely to be an OS X problem than a Samba problem but
I'm asking here to see if anyone else has encountered this and knows of a
fix or workaround. Giving users unlimited quotas in their home directories
is not a good option :-) I've got them using fugu to upload for the moment
but that does not let them work on some applications.

thanks Betsy

# more /opt/csw/etc/samba/smb.conf
# Global parameters
[global]