[Samba] Random "access denied" failures

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Sep 28 18:21:42 GMT 2005

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 02:20:25PM -0400, ML Samba wrote:
> I'm at my wits end.  I'm running FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE and Samba 3.0.20 on
> my fileserver.  It authenticates from Active Directory which is most likely
> running on Windows 2000 Server.  I do NOT have domain admin
>  priviledges--only admin privs of my OU.
>
> My problems began when I upgraded from 3.0.14a to 3.0.20:
>
> It started with one user suddenly getting denied access to his home
> directory on the fileserver on only one machine.  He could get access from
> any other machine in the building.  Then there was another with what
> appeared to be the same problem but on a different computer.  Now I've had
> this problem show up for five or six different users, each one on just one
> computer (a couple of them on the same computer) but everything was fine
> on the other computers.

Get logs from the smbd serving that user on that computer. Debug level 10
logs. Look into them (or post them on the list).

It doesn't sound like random failures to me, it sounds like a consistent
problem that should be reasonably easy to debug.

Going downrev was the wrong solution to debugging a problem like this.

Jeremy.