[Samba] smbldap-populate problem

Michael George george at idealso.com
Wed Sep 28 14:39:04 GMT 2005

I am trying to merge our addressbook, courier-imap, postfix, and samba PDC
entries into a single ldap directory.

I have vampired all the data from our current PDC to use for testing and
it seems that everything is merged and works.

I am writing the docs and I have, for the first time, tried to run
smbldap-useradd for a user who is both a posix user and windows user.

I got an error that the next uid couldn't be found.  I looked into the
smbldap-tools/smbldap.conf and found the entry for sambaUnixIdPooldn which
points to NextFreeUnixID.

Well, the next samba uid is in sambaDominName, so I changed it to refer to
that.  However, then populate cannot find the next uidNumber.

Reading the samba-ldap docs
(http://www.idealx.org/prj/samba/smbldap-howto.fr.html), section 4.4.2,
indicates that that should be set to refer to sambaDomainName in order to
put all the next uids in one place.

I changed the configuration and I will re-vampire the data from our
current PDC.  The problem I have is that I get an error on
smbldap-populate:

failed to add entry: naming attribute 'sambaDomainName' is not present in
entry at /usr/sbin/smbldap-populate line 389, <GEN1> line 7.

The node is not created.  It will work fine if sambaUnixIdPooldn is set to
NextFreeUnixID, but then my useradd is failing.

I have googled and found no references to this error.

I figure I can either:

1. find out how to set the configuration so that samba's uids will come
from sambaDomainName and unix' uidNumbers will come from NextFreeUnixID.
I thought I already had that, but it's not working.

2. figure out what is going wrong with smblap-populate when
sambaUnixIdPooldn indicates the sambaDomainName node so that the directory
is populated and I can redo the vampire.

I'm sure what I am doing has been done thousands of times before, so I
might be just missing some simple configuration, but I've been looking for
hours and not found it.

Thank you.

-Michael George
 Ideal Solution, LLC