[Samba] Best practice in small office

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Wed Sep 28 13:13:24 GMT 2005

Keep using roaming profiles. With Gigabit ethernet, you shouldn't
experience performance problems. However, having My Documents on a
network share may cause problems with the laptops.

Upgrading to Samba 3 shouldn't cause major problems, but test it first
before going live.

The laptop issue again sounds like you need roaming profiles. You will
also need a VPN for them to be able to log onto your network remotely.
Performance may be an issue here. I'd suggest they log onto the network
at work first to get an updated local copy of their profile.

Re. outlook. I'd suggest that if you have a problem, switch to
Thunderbird. Your users will love you for it!