[Samba] roaming profile problem--file in use

Zach uid000 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 12:24:00 GMT 2005

On 9/28/05, Zach <uid000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/28/05, Chadley Wilson <chadley at ngn.co.za> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 28 September 2005 12:42, Zach wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm having a problem with roaming profiles.  I just built a new
> > > machine and put it on the network.  When I log on with a domain user,
> > > I get an error when it tries to load the roaming profile.  The error
> > > is that certain file, which is part of the profile, can't be
> > > overwritten because it is in use.  Then it goes on to attempt to load
> > > a local profile, which, of course, it can't find.  The even generated
> > > in the event list is ID 1509.
> > >
> > > When this initially occurred, I had just started configuring the
> > > system.  After messing around with it for about an hour, I decided
> > > that this was just an anomaly, since I had never had this problem on
> > > any other machine.  Rather than troubleshoot it further, I took the
> > > easy way out and reinstalled windows (which I would never do had it
> > > been Linux).  The problem did not come back after
> > > reinstallation--until last night.  Now I know it's a recurring
> > > problem, so I've got to fix it.
> > >
> > > What I have done so far, without success:
> > > --attempt to log on with a user account that previously had not
> > > exhibited the problem
> > > --attempt to log on with a user account that had not previously logged
> > > on to that machine
> > > --manually delete the cached profile from c:\Documents and Settings\
> > > and try again
> > > --Do System Restore back to a point when the problem was not occurring.
> > > --Reboot (sigh) the samba server, ruining a really nice uptime record
> > >
> > > I am using an early version of Samba 3 on Red Hat 9 on the server/PDC
> > > Windows XP SP2 on the offending client.
> > > Other Windows XP SP2 clients don't exhibit this problem.
> > >
> > > Has anyone seen this problem?  Does anyone know what might cause it or
> > > how to fix it?  Please help.  I am at wit's end.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Zach
> > > --
> >
> > Same OLD - Same OLD
> > Typical typical typical...
> > Then it gives you a temporary profile and another message about loosing it
> > when you log out...
> >
> > Firstly a copy of your precious smb.conf file and all you secret details
> > replaced with fake details would be in order. :)
> >
> > Secondly an exact type out (He he) of the Winblows errors and the order in
> > which they occur is important.
> >
> > Thirdly ...  have you applied the registry patch to the winblows PCs?
> >
> > Lastly where is your profile on the server and does the %U user have the
> > correct perms on the folder and in smb.conf under that users shares.
> > 777 perms might work but usually don't I prefer 774 or 775 then its happy.
> > If you made like me ( RAMBO ) and decided it would be better to have the user
> > profile in /home/username/profile/ then I suggest that if you want it to work
> > you'd better create the folder appropriately. Otherwise dumb, stupid windows
> [...]
As promised, here is my smb.conf.  I've stripped out comments for
compactness.  Also, just a caveat: I put this together a few years
ago.  I was a noob back then so if there are some things that are
wacky that's why.  I'm in the process of building a new system to
replace this one.

#======================= Global Settings =====================================
[global]
    netbios name = BABYLON
   workgroup = CIVILIZATION
   browseable = no

   server string = Windows NT 5.01

;   hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.

   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes

;   printing = bsd

;  guest account = pcguest

   log file = /var/log/samba/smbd.log

   max log size = 50

   security = user
;   password server = <NT-Server-Name>

;  password level = 8
;  username level = 8

  encrypt passwords = yes
  smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

  unix password sync = Yes
  passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
  passwd chat = \
                *password* %n\n \
                *password* %n\n \
                *successfully*

  username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

;   include = /etc/samba/smb.conf.%m

;   interfaces = 192.168.12.2/24 192.168.13.2/24

;   remote browse sync = 192.168.3.25 192.168.5.255
;   remote announce = 192.168.1.255 192.168.2.44

   local master = yes

   os level = 64

   domain master = yes

   preferred master = yes

   domain logons = yes

;   logon script = %m.bat
;   logon script = %U.bat

   logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U
   logon drive = M:
   logon home = \\%L\%U
   logon script = logon.cmd
; name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast

   wins support = yes

;   wins server = w.x.y.z

;   wins proxy = yes

   dns proxy = no