[Samba] Samba 3 as PDC with Debian Linux server and Windows XP clients

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Tue Sep 27 13:27:38 GMT 2005

I'm running Samba 3 on Debian/Sarge. The roaming profiles seems to come
by default if you follow the example/directions in the Official Samba 3
Howto & Reference Guide. There's also the newer Samba 3 by example. Both
are available at samba.org.

Make sure you have a samba folder with netlogon and profiles subfolders.
I keep mine in /home.

When you say "upgrading", do you have an existing Domain and controller
or are you starting up a domain?

If you are starting a new domain, make it easy on yourself and use SWAT.
You need to uncomment the swat line in /etc/inetd.conf and restart it.

If you are converting from a Windows domain controller, there is a
"vampire" mode that sucks the existing date from your domain controller.
Then you need to remove your old domain controller and promote your new
one. However, I've had problems after doing this. You may prefer just to
set up a new domain if you only have a limited number of clients.