[Samba] File access rights on a NFS share: please help !

Sabrina Lautier slautier at amadeus.com
Tue Sep 27 08:55:36 GMT 2005

Jeremy, Tom,

First of all thanks a lot for your help.

Jeremy> Any way you can move to an NFS server that supports more groups ?
Actually, I set up 3 NFS servers for the tests: a Solaris 8, a Linux SuSe
E9 and an EMC NAS NS600 one but each time I came to the same conclusion...

Tom> Something I'd look at though is the actual gid of the iis directory by
simply using
Tom> ls -n and verify for sure that the gid of the iis directory is
16777328.
Tom> Possibly you have two gids both named NCEDOM\dev-iis and it isn't gid
16777328
Tom> that the iis directory belongs to.
I tested that also but I confirm that there is only one gid 16777328...

Any more idea ?

Rgds,
Sabrina

                                      Sabrina Lautier
                                      <slautier at amadeus.com>
                                                                        cc
                                      samba at lists.samba.org,
                                      samba at samba.org
    Jeremy Allison
    <jra at samba.org>
                                                                   Subject
                                      Re: [Samba] File access rights on a
                                      NFS share: please help !
    Please respond to Jeremy
     Allison <jra at samba.org>
    19/09/2005 18:07

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 05:03:34PM +0200, Sabrina Lautier wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As I didn't get any answer, I'm posting my question again.
> Sorry to insist but I'm very embarrassed...
>
> I'm having troubles with access rights on files located on a NFS server
> (Solaris 8).
> The client  machine is a Linux SuSe E9.0 and the samba suite version is
> samba-3.0.20, directly installed from a Linux package.

Solaris 8 has a limit of 16 groups I believe. If your user
is in more than 16 groups the groups over 16 will be silently
truncated for NFS access.

Any way you can move to an NFS server that supports more
groups ?

Jeremy.