[Samba] FreeBSD 4.x Samba 3

Cole cole at opteqint.net
Mon Sep 26 22:23:35 GMT 2005

Hi.

I just wanted to confirm, Samba 3 is required for Active Directory support correct? Or is it
possible to use Samba 2.2.x to communicate with an AD server?

Another question involves winbindd, I have a older install of Samba3, with a winbindd Version
3.0.10.
I installed latest squid-2.5-Stable10, but I get the error from wb_authntlm that it cannot contact
the winbindd even though it is running, along with nmbd. wbinfo -u provides all the correct users
from the AD server.
This error is produced - "wb_ntlmauth[466](wb_ntlm_auth.c:414): Can't contact winbindd. Dying".

I would like to know, does the samba3 install have to be fairly new to work with the latest
squid-2.5?

There is also one other problem. Im running Freebsd 4.9 or 4.11, depending, and using the latest
cvsupped up to date ports collection, and trying to build Samba-3.0.20, with AD support, I get this
error from the makefile.
===>  samba-3.0.20,1 Broken dependency between OpenSSL, OpenLDAP and Heimdal for FreeBSD 4.x.
Disable ADS support.

Does anyone know if there is a fix for that, or the exact reason for that or that could be useful in
trying to fix the problem at all?

Regards
/Cole