[Samba] winbindd exceeding 200 client connections

Rusty Shackleford shackle123 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 23 15:59:45 GMT 2005

OS:  RHE 3, kernal 2.4.21-32.0.1EL
Samba version:  samba-3.0.20

Removed RHE version of samba and compiled/installed samba-3.0.20.  After
running about 30-60 minutes, I get the following syslog msg:

"winbindd:  Exceeding 200 client connections, no idle connection found"

Eventually this grinds the whole system to a halt, and remote & console
logins become impossible while samba is running.

I don't believe this is a case of too many users trying to connect, as only
2 workstations have been using the samba connectivity, so upping the
connection limit in local.h doesn't sound like it would really fix the
problem (a solution discovered via google).

Appreciate any help here - more info (like the smb.conf) availabe if needed.