[Samba] backing up and restoring a samba configuration

Josh Howe josh at sinu.com
Fri Sep 23 18:34:18 GMT 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to backup my samba configuration, including the users. I'm
making copies of these files:

/etc/samba/smb.conf

/etc/samba/smbpasswd

/etc/samba/smbusers

When I install samba on a new machine (I've recreated the directory
structure and Linux users) and replace the above files, users can't log
on to their shares. Am I missing a file? I thought the smbpasswd file
took care of this. If I run smbpasswd for one of the users they are able
to access their share, but the line for that user in smbpasswd isn't any
different than before I ran smbpasswd. Any ideas? Thanks!