[Samba] file locking

Pramathesh Ambasta pramathesh.ambasta at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 23:03:30 GMT 2005

I am sure this is a subject which has been discussed a lot already. I have
been looking for pointers but have failed. So please bear with me and help.
A linux box runs Samba and is connected to a win box. One word or excel file
is opened simultaneoulsy on both (on the linux system in OpenOffice and on
the win system in M$Office). How do I prevent simultaneous writes on both
machines? What I want is that one system gets r-w access and the other read
only.
Is this a samba issue or is it an issue which the application program must
address?
I have enabled strict locking and disabled oplocks.
what more do I need to do?
Grateful for help
Pramathesh