[Samba] XP Pro password change problem

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Fri Sep 23 00:28:27 GMT 2005

Jeremy Allison wrote:

>On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 11:35:49AM -0400, Gary Dale wrote:
>

>>Further to my e-mails below:
>>
>>I am running Samba 3.0.14a-Debian.
>>
>>My garydale account owns all the directories I am sharing. The group is
>>set to "users" for all of them also. All of the user's linux accounts
>>are members of the Linux "users" group.
>>
>>However, I suspect the root of the problem is to be found in my
>>inability to change passwords through XP Pro.
>>

>Ok, I'm confused. Are you having problems changing user passwords
>(CTRL-ALT-DEL) which we had a reply bug that was fixed for 3.0.20
>(the password was getting changed but we were not returning success)
>or is this file permission related ?
>
>Jeremy.

This cannot be the bug you are referring because my passwords are not
being changed. It is not that passwords are being changed but not
reported correctly. The next time I log in, I must use the old password
still. The new one doesn't work. I eventually have to use SWAT to change it.

There is a problem with file permissions in that I am the only one who
seems to have write access. However, I suspect that the root of both
problems lies in whatever is preventing passwords from being changed
from XP.