[Samba] auth problem

Ric Tibbetts rtibbetts at lanl.gov
Thu Sep 22 15:43:58 GMT 2005

Okay, I'll keep asking questions, until I word one in a way that
someone will answer. :)

i'm trying to get Samba setup. I've done this before, and it has
never given me this much trouble.
In short, it seems to be insisting that the user be in smbpasswd
(I've not experienced this before).

If the user is in smbpasswd, all seems well. If not, even though they
exist on the server (via ldap + kerberos), I get a user not found error.
On the last set of servers I did this on, even ones who authenticate
via ldap, I never did anything special to samba to get it to work.
But I've not been so lucky this time.

The setup:

Server: IBM AIX 5.2
Samba 3.0.14a

Authentication: LDAP
Security:  Kerberos

The user entry in /etc/security/user:
     <user name>
                            SYSTEM = "KRB5files"

smb.conf (in a simple form)

       [global]
         workgroup = WIN
         log level = 5 auth
         log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
         username map = /usr/local/samba/lib/smbusers

[Homes]
         comment = User home directories
         guest ok = no
         read only = No

I need the username map because the user names do not match between
the windows clients & the samba server. So I need to map the translation.

When I try to access the system, I get an unknown user error.

The ONLY thing I need samba to do is provide shares (not shown above)
to windows users. Nothing else.
If, I add a user to samba with smbpasswd .....     then the users can
access the shares. If not, they can't.
I also, in the past have not had a server prompt me for passwords to
access shares.
I'm missing something really obvious.
I'd really appreciate some assistance on this one.

thanks in advance!