[Samba] Question on starting Samba service

Edouard Ades edouard.ades at activant.com
Wed Sep 21 19:43:01 GMT 2005

Hi,

For no particular reason, my Samba service didn't start yesterday,
when I went to start it by going in the /usr/local/samba/sbin and then
typing SMBD I got an error
"permission denied" and something about the port 139 (sorry I don't have
the whole error message)

No changes were made on the box.

I started looking over the web and I found an something out something to
help me out on this issue.

This is what I found
Now, if you wish to use inetd to start the Samba daemons, enter suitable
lines in the file /etc/inetd.conf, such as the following:
netbios-ssn stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd smbd
netbios-ns dgram udp wait root /usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd nmbd
swat stream tcp nowait.400 root /usr/local/samba/bin/swat swat

After editing the files, type  refresh -s inetd.

Now my question is : Why commenting that out made from the Indetd.conf
works.
In other case why did I had to go trough this to start the samba
service,
is the samba sercie suppose to start automatically ?

Thanks for all your help

Eddy

Notice: This transmission is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is confidential and/or privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this transmission and any attachments and notify the sender by return email immediately.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.