[Samba] Samba with Mysql, compilation problem.

MARTIN Pierre HicksCorp at CreativeHazard.com
Wed Sep 21 17:01:28 GMT 2005

First i would like to say hello to everybody here, because i am new to
this ML.

So here is the description of my problem:
I began with a clean samba installation from the stable branch few
monthes ago, everything was just fine, i have a linux box which was
sharing files for another linux workstation and two WinXP laptops. The
sharing linux box is a debian stable branch O/S, which is my choice for
a long time now.

Few weeks ago, i decided to make my sparkling samba installation
virtual-users aware, and i began to crawl on various websites, all
explaining the smb.conf parametters to give. I figured out that i was
just not able to make it run because of a main problem, the apt-get
samba gave me a non mysql-powered-samba version :(

So i removed the samba package from the computer, and dowloaded the
debian source of it. Basic source, untared, and had a look to the
debian/rule file. I saw there was any parametters given about mysql
building, so i also had a look at the configure script's options. It
always compiles the brand new warm .deb packages (after i fixed some
lacky dependencies, i had to make a fake mysql-common package by
myselve, because i already had mysql installed from sources and did not
want to install the deb package, etc...). I'm now totally lost, i have
try everything and i can't get this pdb_mysql.so "plugin" ready :(

So maybe i have miss something, maybe there is another way to make it as
i wish to be, maybe there is a simple way to indirectly link samba to
mysql with pam (I don't know PAM rules at all, i neither don't know how
it works).

It has been 4 days i'm looking for a solution, mailing random people i
find on websites, no answers from them.

Please if somebody has any clue, let me know a link, a sound, a color,
anything to find a way to make it work...
Anything to make it work from the stable .deb packages appreciated too.

Thank you a lot!

Pierre.

P.S.: Here is the current configure parametters i use extracted from my
rule file:
                --cache-file=./config.cache --with-fhs --enable-shared
--enable-static --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libdir=/etc/samba
--with-privatedir=/etc/samba --with-piddir=/var/run/samba
--localstatedir=/var --with-netatalk --with-pam --with-syslog
--with-utmp --with-readline --with-pam_smbpass --with-libsmbclient
--with-winbind --with-msdfs --with-automount --with-tdbsam --with-ldap
--with-python=python2.3 --with-mysql --enable-mysql
--with-mysql-prefix=/usr/local/mysql --with-expsam=mysql