[Samba] Samba as an NT5 (Win2K) PDC

kent at mail.wareham.mec.edu kent at mail.wareham.mec.edu
Wed Sep 21 12:48:33 GMT 2005

Hi,
I don't know who else responded to this, but there are many people out
there using Samba as replacement for Win2k servers.

Here's my personal involvement and a little history. I'm in a school
system in Mass. where we have 7 Samba servers (1 PDC 6 BDC). I'm guessing
there are about 2300+ user accounts and don't know how many computer
accounts. It works well. We started with version 2.2.X on Slackware with 1
server 3 users. Graduated to RedHat 8.0/LDAP on 5 servers. This past
summer every server was upgraded to Fedora Core 4 Samba
3.0.14a/passbackend LDAP 2.2.23. There is a slave LDAP server running on
the BDCs because they are in different buildings. LDAP master is on a
separate server than the PDC but they are in the same data closet in the
same building. We did this because the LDAP master serves as a passbackend
for other systems, for example: Cyrus IMAP, Moddle, SquirrelMail, other
home grown applications that use LDAP for authentication.

We don't use the normal tools for managing user/group accounts. We are a
school system, accounts for students start in Middle School and follow
them to High School. We needed to be able to bulk add, delete and modify
user accounts in addition to one-at-a-time modifications, so our tools are
geared towards this.

Our client systems range from Win95 to XP. We use Kixtart script processor
to run OS specific scripts.

The howto's are a good place to start and they are pretty specific. I'd
start with getting a working LDAP directory first, then move on to Samba.
I can't give you any specifics, but if you are going to use LDAP determine
how your directory tree will look, and get your base local/domain groups
in LDAP. There are many smb.confs out there that will work as PDC. Post
how things are going. Everyone's here to help.

Kent N