[Samba] Horrible Linux/Samba vs Windows political battle - can

Joe Cipale joec at aracnet.com
Tue Sep 20 15:40:47 GMT 2005

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

> Gregory A. Cain schrieb:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I am currently the IT Manager for a 30-person architectural firm. About
> > 5 months ago we hired a new employee. He is quite good at what he does.
> > He is also extremely opinionated, particularly when it comes to computer
> > software, including server software.
> >
> > I'm running the office server functions on RedHat, Fedora and Trustix
> > servers. He has managed to convince my boss that there are serious
> > problems with these servers and with Linux in general. After having
> > worked here for over 14 years, I would have hoped my boss would have
> > more trust in my choices.
> >
> > In any case, I now find myself in the position of having to defend my
> > position here. My boss has gone as far as to hire an independent
> > consultant to evaluate our whole network infrastructure, simply on the
> > basis of the new employee's statemenets about the worthlessness of
> > Linux. I do not relish being put in this position, however I'm going to
> > take a stand.
> >
> > If there is anyone reading this who works in the field of architecture
> > or engineering, and with CAD or BIM software, who is using Linux as your
> > server software, I would sure be appreciative it if you could write a
> > testimonial for me to help me convince my boss that migrating from Linux
> > to MS would be a horrible mistake.
>
> perhaps it would help us if you told which statements he said about "the
> worthlessness of Linux"?
> and why he claims Windows would be superior over Linux in your case.
>
> what our company does at the moment is quite reverse - migrating our
> customers Windows to Linux, or just setting Linux in new locations, as
> it has better value and is easier to manage.
>
> --
> Tomek
> http://wpkg.org
>
> --

The other battle you have to ask your boss is if he is willing to pony up the M$ license fees. Not to mention that IIS is STILL a very vulnerable/unsecure application.

I would be willing to bet your 'new employee' is a M$ adherent from a previous employer. I would be willing to bet he has NEVER worked with linux in a client/server networked environment.

There are numerous reports that detail the costs of linux vs. Microsoft. Nearly all of them from independent consults say the cost of a linux environment is much cheaper to operate and more secure than any MS environment.

Good luck... it sounds like you have someone who is trying to make a name for themselves and possibly take your job.

Joe