[Samba] Horrible Linux/Samba vs Windows political battle - can you help?

Collins, Kevin kCollins at nesbittengineering.com
Tue Sep 20 13:36:33 GMT 2005

Gregory,

I am the System Manager for a 45 person Consulting Engineering firm that is spread across three locations.  We use Samba to provide file/print and authentication services for the entire company.  I have one PDC and two BDCs tied together over three VPNs to make it all work.  We still have one Windows 2000 server in our network, but that is to support a couple of License Managers for our CAD software and to maintain Anti-Virus on our desktops.  It does not serve any other purpose than that.  (In fact we've thought about running these services from inside a VMWare virtual machine on one of our Linux boxes.)

We moved from a Windows NT/2000 server controlled setup about 4 years ago.  Quite frankly, we haven't looked back.  We've enjoyed higher stability and performance from the Linux setup.  Our Samba servers are running RHEL3, but we're moving those to Debian during our Christmas break.

The only problem that we've had is support.  By that I mean, I can pick up the phone and call any Computer Consultant firm in the city and get someone who "knows" Windows.  I can't do that for Linux.  But what that has made me do is become a better administrator in the first place.  I do more research, testing and planning now than I ever have.  I found that I was using the outside support as a crutch.  Now I'm not.  Don't get me wrong, the support isn't non-existent - just look at this mailing list.  But it's just not as easy to procure and waiting is almost always involved.

Will we ever go back to Windows?  Who knows.  But I do know one thing.  That move will cost us a ton of money.  Right now on Linux, I'm getting file and print services, e-mail, content filtering for e-mail, firewalls, routers, on-site and off-site backups/archives and VPNs mostly for just the cost of the hardware (we use Scalix for E-Mail).

I don’t know if this will help convince your boss that he can trust your decisions, but I hope so.

--
Kevin L. Collins, MCSE
Systems Manager