[Samba] Winbind oddness

Sean Kennedy skennedy at qualitydentists.com
Tue Sep 20 13:19:52 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I'm really hoping someone can help me with this, I am at my wits end
trying to figure this out.  I have a centos 3.x system, fully updated.
Samba 3.0.9-1 installed and configured.  net ads join'd to my brand new
win2k3 AD server.  Up to yesterday everything was working fine.  Now, I
can chown users but not groups ( which is a huge deal ), and I lose the
ability to do users unless I do wbinfo -u every couple of minutes.

Now, here's the kicker:  I started having this problem last week *with
two completely seperate systems*.  RH8 and win2k AD server.  The only
thing consistent between the two setups is the AD structure. However,
that old AD server was demoted, and that old rh8 system has been retired.

I have tried ( on the old systems and this one ), putting samba in
domain mode hoping that would fix it, but no luck.  I have the log level
turned up to 3, but I'm not getting *any* log out put.

And for some more weirdness:  wbinfo -[u|g] works fine, but wbinfo -n
<user> won't until I do wbinfo -u or g first.  getent group|passwd works
perfectly.  But chown -R :'Domain Group' fails with: chown: `:Domain
Group': invalid group.

I'm begging, anybody who knows anything about this please help.  I'm so
fed up with this entire system suddenly deciding not to work I want to
chuck it, quit my job and go flip burgers somewhere.

Sean

[global]
        workgroup = BOCA
        realm = BOCA.PRI