[Samba] Guest user mapped account rights not being set correctly

gnamasiv at cisco.com gnamasiv at cisco.com
Tue Sep 20 11:45:31 GMT 2005

Hi,

    I wanted to allow unknown(guest users)  users to print. I have used
"guest ok = yes", "map to guest = bad password" and "guest account =
guestuser" where guestuser is a windows domain user. The reason for
using this being the windows user can modify the rights that would be
given to the guest account by changing the rights to guestuser in the
security tab of printer properties. However, the guest user is able to
print only when the user "everyone" is given print access in the printer
-> security settings. He is not able to print when "everyone" is removed
and "guestuser" is given print access although I could see from the logs
the mapping to guestuser is happening correctly.I have also included my
smb.conf. Please let me know if I am doing something wrong.

smb.conf

[global]
idmap uid = 70000-200000
idmap gid = 70000-200000
winbind enum users = yes
winbind enum groups = yes
winbind cache time = 10
winbind use default domain = yes
printcap name = cups
load printers = yes
printing = cups
cups options = "raw"
force printername = yes
lpq cache time = 0
log file = /local/local1/errorlog/samba.log
max log size = 50000
smb ports = 50139
local master = no
domain master = no
preferred master = no
dns proxy = no
template homedir = /local/local1/
template shell = /admin-shell
client schannel = no
printer admin = @printeradmin
addprinter command = /usr/bin/addprinter1.pl
map to guest = bad password
guest account = guestuser
log level = 10
deleteprinter command = /usr/bin/removeprinter
workgroup = LAB2003DOMAIN
netbios name = ODI-MGT-CE2
wins server = <wins server ip>
password server = <password server ip>