[Samba] stale name lookup result

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Mon Sep 19 17:50:07 GMT 2005

I am running a Samba 3.0.10 server on freeBSD and 3.0.10-Debian client.  I
just had a perplexing problem.

The client is a laptop and moves about different samba networks.  My home
computer's name (Unix hostname and samba name) is 'ocean'.  When I'm at
home I run smbmount //ocean/mydir /mnt/samba/ocean/mydir -o <options>

Normally this is fine.  I've been running the same script to do this for
about 2 years, without problems.

But this morning when I tried to connect it kept telling me
timeout connecting to NOT.MY.IP.ADDR:445
timeout connecting to NOT.MY.IP.ADDR:139

[NOT.MY.IP.ADDR is replaced by an actual IP address that I've never seen
before, but belongs to a separate wireless network that I occasionally
visit]

Running nmblookup:
# nmblookup ocean
querying ocean on 192.168.0.255         <-- this IS my network
192.168.0.5 ocean<00>			<-- this IS the right IP address

Ocean is right there in the next room -- AND it's acting as a WINS server
-- AND nmblookup seems to find it just fine.  Why is my laptop trying to
connect to the wrong host?

Thanks in advance,
Brandon