[Samba] pam_ldap and Samba password change

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Sun Sep 18 19:48:10 GMT 2005

On Sat, Sep 17, 2005 at 11:36:17PM +0200, Roger Eisenecher wrote:
> Christian Anton schrieb:
  <snip/>
> > yes, smbldap-passwd does the job, but only as root and only on the
> > machine the samba-server is on. But what to do as a Linux-User that
> > wants to be able to log in to any windows machine in the network too?
> > how does he change his password? when he types 'passwd' on the shell of
> > his Linux machine, the ldap-password on the server is changed, but not
> > the samba-password and this is my problem.

From the manual page of smbldap-passwd:
| SMBLDAP-PASSWD(8)    User Contributed Perl Documentation SMBLDAP-PASSWD(8)
|
| NAME
|        smbldap-passwd - change user password
|
| SYNOPSIS
|        smbldap-passwd [name]
|
| DESCRIPTION
|        smbldap-passwd changes passwords for user accounts. A normal user may
|        only change the password for their own account, the super user may
|        change the password for any account.

So the "root-only" problem is gone ...
For the "only the machine the samba-server is on" problem,
you have to install (only) smbldap-passwd on other system.
( not verified over here, please report your milage)

> Hmm... OpenLDAP has an option to maintain password fields himself... but
> I do not remember the required configuration steps for that...
>
> perhaps another one on this list could help...

It is the tools ldappasswd and AFAIK it only updates
the POSIX password  ( not the SAMBA  password )

St