[Samba] hidden files prohibited on FAT32

dan1 dan1 at edenpics.com
Sat Sep 17 17:33:17 GMT 2005

Hello.

I have setup samba 3.0.10-1 on my Centos 4 system. I have setup samba to
make a share of a FAT32 filesystem. When I want to write to this shared
resource from a windows XP machine to change the hidden file attribute, I
get the following error: 'access denied'.
This happens as soon as I try to copy a hidden file or directory to this
shared drive or when I directly change the hidden attribute in the file
properties.

Does somebody know where this could be coming from ? I have not this problem
when I use an ext3 filesystem in place of FAT32.

Here is my mounting options for the FAT filesystem:
/dev/hdb1               /samba_backups          vfat
uid=root,gid=samba,umask=007,utf8       0 0

And this is the samba config file:

[global]
   workgroup = MYHOME
   server string =
   hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.
   log file = /var/log/samba/smbd.log
   security = user
   interfaces = 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
   dns proxy = no
   winbind use default domain = no
   map to guest = Bad User
   unix charset = UTF-8
   dos charset = UTF-8
   display charset = LOCALE
[backups]
   comment = Backup dirs
   path = /samba
   valid users = john
   force user = john
   create mask = 0770
   directory mask = 0770
   public = no
   writable = yes
   read only = no
   printable = no
   # This allows you to hide the shared path.
   browseable = no
   guest ok = yes

Thanks for any help. I really don't understand what happens there.

Regards,
Daniel