[Samba] Roaming profile : taking forever to login /log off

Lorenzo Cerini lorenzo at info-era.com
Thu Sep 15 07:48:38 GMT 2005

Well, it's possible to store all the profile on the server like happens, e.g.,  in nfs.

On your clients you have the gpedit.msc utility. So run->gpedit.msc->user_config->administrative_templates

->user_profiles

here you can exclude some folder of your roaming to be copied up and down (something like 'exclude directory

from roaming profile', my winxp is in italian). You can write 'Documents; Personal; Desktop....etc'

In this way these folders will be threated as local, and could be different on every client. But you can map

all these ones to a network volume on your samba server.

Just prepare a small logon.bat with time server sync (it's important), and net use ... ... to import a network volume

(say U:) on your clients.

Now run->regedit->HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

Here you can change the displacemant of your profile, and change
&USERPROFILE&\Desktop -> U:\user_name\Desktop, or better
you can map U: with a logon.bat.%U script and give a different U: to every user.

Unlucky you need to use gpedit.msc on every client.
For regedit you can take advatage by using a netlogon\Default User share.

One caveat: do not use your logon drive, or your profile drive form U:, take another one and put correct
permission.
Another one: On windows you can open explorer->Tools->Folder Options->'off-line files' and you can disable
off-line files, in this way, if the client is well-connected to the lan will use the natwork files, if not
won't. If you enable off-line files, win will sync everything at login/off loosing a lot of time.
I have clients with 1gb or more for documents folder, and this config helps a lot.

 L.Cerini