[Samba] pam_ldap problem on an LDAP+SMB configuration

David Martinez david.martinez at eurorscg.com
Tue Sep 13 23:40:43 GMT 2005

Hi there.

This is my first post to this list, I hope I can help you in the future.

By now, I'm the one who needs help  :)

I've been trying to configure a Fedora Core 4 box to use samba + LDAP. I
followed instructions of
http://www.idealx.org/prj/samba/smbldap-howto.en.html but it seems like
I'm having problems on the pam_ldap layer: when I go to step 4.5
(http://www.idealx.org/prj/samba/smbldap-howto.en.html#htoc32) ssh
testuser1 at my-host I get the following message on /var/log/messages:

Sep 13 18:09:40 linux2 sshd(pam_unix)[23077]: check pass; user unknown
Sep 13 18:09:40 linux2 sshd(pam_unix)[23077]: authentication failure;
logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=ssh ruser=rhost=linux2
Sep 13 18:09:40 linux2 sshd[23077]: pam_ldap: error trying to bind as
user "uid=testuser1,ou=Users,dc=valeeuro,dc=com" (Invalid credentials)

I have tried everything, but no success, I always get to this and I
don't know what to do now. Its really important to me to get this
configuration working, so I don't want to give up.

Can someone help me or tell me if I have to read somewhere else ?

Thanks in advance.

David.