[Samba] Building a new machine

linux starved linuxstarved at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 20:42:31 GMT 2005

On 9/13/05, Paul Gienger <pgienger at ae-solutions.com> wrote:

> > We recently suffered a server loss, during the power an unforgiving
> power
> > outage. I built a new machine, copied over all information contained in
> > the
> > home directory, and also copied shadow, shadow passwd, groups, passwd.
>
> Did you even bother with any of the samba information? The smbpasswd, and
> tdb files?

We copied the enitre samba directory over, renaming all default install
files i.e.smbpasswd to smbpasswd_default

> I was able to set the permissions and ownership they way it was on the old
> > server, and everything looked well. However when I asked the users to
> log
> > in, they couldn't. Is there a file I should have copied over, that would
> > "trick" these machines into thinking they were authenticating to the old
> > samba server?
> More info please!!!What errors

I cannot give an exact message error since it is a remote office but it is
close to,

'The system cannot log you on to this domain because the system's computer
name is missing or the password on the account is incorrect.'