[Samba] Cannot login to share from winxp

Kevin W. Gagel gagel at cnc.bc.ca
Tue Sep 13 17:12:00 GMT 2005

I'm using Fedora and have setup a samba share on the server.
I followed the instructions at:
http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/sambaserver.shtml

I am able to see the samba server through nwk nh but when I
try to access the share I get this error message:
\\server\share is not accessable. You might not have
permission to use this network resource. etc...

The /var/log/samba/machine.log contains:
smbd/service.c:make_connection-snum(615)
'/home/shareddir' does not exist or is not a directory, when
connecting to [userid]

The shared dir is my linux users home dir and so it exists
and it is a directory.

Can someone point me in the right direction please...

Kevin W. Gagel
Network Administrator
Information Technology Services
(250) 562-2131 local 448