[Samba] Unable to take ownership of directories

Jan Roehrich jan.roehrich at iao.fraunhofer.de
Tue Sep 13 13:32:36 GMT 2005

I'm using samba as a win2000 domain member and providing some files using
posix ACLs

My share configuration is like that:

[software]
        path = /srv/software
        public = yes
        read only = no
        printable = no
        group = root
        directory security mask = 0777
        directory mask = 0770
        create mask = 0660
        store dos attributes = no
        dos filemode = yes
        inherit permissions = yes
        inherit acls = yes
        hide unreadable = yes

but I discovered a strange problem:
Using the windows native acl tool I'm able to take file ownership of each
file in my share bot not of any directory. Error message is access denied.

The acls of all my files and directories look like that:
user::rwx
group::rwx
group:edv.team:rwx
mask::rwx
other::---
default:user::rwx
default:group::rwx
default:group:edv.team:rwx
default:mask::rwx
default:other::---

The user who wants to take ownership of directories belongs to the
edv.team group.

Any ideas?

Maybe something with the different directory/security/force masks? I'm not
very familar with them.

Looking forward to your answers.

Jan