[Samba] Accessing /home/<user> properly from Win2003 Server share

Steve Hobbs shobbs at diablo-technologies.com
Tue Sep 13 13:13:48 GMT 2005

Hi all,

In answer to my own (somewhat confused) question. I've done further research on this and I think I've got to use Windows Services for UNIX from Microsoft to achieve this.

The network we have is now going to be:
One PDC running Windows 2003 Server and providing Exchange Server to the company.
One Server Dell PowerVault with 2TB HDs running Windows 2003 Server plus Microsoft Services for UNIX.
One or both of these windows servers will be running NIS/NFS to provide share and authentication information for our remaining farm of Linux boxes running RHEL v4 and running Cadence and similar tools.
All desktops for the staff are actually WinXP machines.

Currently it looks like Samba won't get used at all, except to share drives between the Farm Linux boxes themselves. This is to take advantage of the large local drives that exist on each of the Linux machines as temporary storage.

We initially tried bringing up OpenLDAP and Samba on RHEL v4, but couldn't get the passwords to sync properly. This also, I think, may have been a headache, to authenticate Exchange against.
Sucks, I've been looking into samba providing the solution all along. If this Services for Unix works then it means we'll be running almost exclusively Microsoft for server uses.

Please feel free to add any comments.

Kind Regards,

Steve Hobbs