[Samba] Can't see windows shares by name

Peter Marshall peter.marshall at caris.com
Mon Sep 12 16:32:06 GMT 2005

Hello all,

I am having a small problem with a bsd box of mine.  Using the file
manager in kde, I can type \\ip_address and get prompted for a username
and password for the coresponding server on my domain.  However, When I
type, \\servername, I again get prompted for a username and password,
but it gets rejected.  I think it is having problems looking up the name
... which is kind of strange to me as I can ping the server by name.

Does any one have an idea how to fix this problem .. I googled for a bit
but was unable to find a solution.

Thanks
Peter