[Samba] Error Code -36

samba.200.ssteve at spamgourmet.com samba.200.ssteve at spamgourmet.com
Sun Sep 11 19:39:25 GMT 2005

I'm running OS X 10.3.9/Samba 3.0.10. When I try to connect to my
Windows 2000 machine from my user account, I enter the correct
workgroup/user/password and then get the message 'The Finder cannot
complete the operation because some data in "smb://machinename" could
not be read or written. (Error code -36).' (Error code -36 in OS X is
"i/O error (bummers)".)

I can connect fine to the Windows machine with the same
workgroup/user/password from another user account on the same OS X
machine.

 From both user accounts, the Windows machine shows up when I run
smbtree.

When attempting the connection, I get the following in console.log:
mount_smbfs: session setup phase failed: syserr = Permission denied
mount_smbfs: could not login to server MACHINENAME: syserr = Permission
denied
mount_smbfs: session setup phase failed: syserr = Socket is not
connected
mount_smbfs: could not login to server MACHINENAME: syserr = Socket is
not connected

The first two lines show up in the log when the SMB/CIFS Filesystem
Authentication window first pops up, before I've even typed anything.
The second two lines show up after I click OK in the authentication
dialog.

I used svn to get the source from the SAMBA_3_0_RELEASE branch, but
couldn't find the string "session setup phase failed" in any of the
files.

I'm not really sure where to go next in troubleshooting. I'd certainly
appreciate any tips.