[Samba] problem with Samba upgrade

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Sat Sep 10 15:54:54 GMT 2005

On Friday 09 September 2005 20:33, anctop at hotmail.com wrote:
> Dear Sir,
>
> Recently I've upgraded our Samba installation. After then I find that all
> WinXP workstations cannot logon to the server. The official HOWTO mentioned
> this problem and suggested resetting the SID using "net setlocalsid ....".
> But this does not help in my case. The SID of our server has not been
> changed. So I've to go to every workstation for rejoin the domain. This is
> definitely a horrible experience. I would like to ask how to find out
> what's gone wrong, regarding server and/or workstation configurations.

First off, I can not help you given the lack of information you have provided.
You provide no information regarding what version of Samba you have upgraded
from, nor what version you have just installed. You have provided no smb.conf
file contents. Nor have you identified the source of your updated Samba.

I wrote two books. Both are part of the official Samba documentation. The book
"Samba-3 by Example" provides details examples to assist in the deployment of
Samba-3. The book included fully documented network deployment guidance for a
range of networks, starting with very simple environments right up to very
complex networks. Given that the key objective of this book is to provide
deployment guidance, the second edition includes a new chapter on the subject
of upgrading and updating Samba. That chapter should have saved you from your
pain.

The book "The Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference Guide", is intended as a
mechanic's guide to Samba. It's purpose is to document in detail, the various
intrinsics of managing Sambas internals, as well as how to use the various
tools and utilities that ship with Samba. It includes only one chapter that
has a few example Samba configurations, but does not go into enough detail to
meaningfully bridge the knowleadge gap of a new non-technical user.

The HOWTO books includes several chapters on debugging and validation of your
Samba configuration. Perhaps you should follow those chapters so that you can
provide a little more information so that we can help you.

Both books are available in printed second editions from Amazon.Com. The
second editions were released at LinuxWorld, San Francisco, in August 2005.
You can also obtain them in PDF and HTML form from the Samba web site at:

	http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/

Cheers,
- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Samba-Team Member

Author:
The Official Samba-3 HOWTO & Reference Guide, 2 Ed., ISBN: 0131882228
Samba-3 by Example, 2 Ed., ISBN: 0131882221X
Hardening Linux, ISBN: 0072254971
Other books in production.