[Samba] File permission problem

fluibgwef at netscape.net fluibgwef at netscape.net
Fri Sep 9 15:46:43 GMT 2005

Hi Mogens,
I'll try more during the week-end but I am sorry all this is not very clear to me (not your fault).
And I cannot reply directly to the news group, I have to go to the crappy netscape mail thing to send this...

Anyway, see below.

Thanks again,
Dominique
Mogens Kjaer wrote:
> fluibgwef at netscape.net wrote:
>
> ... chaotic quote removed ...

Well it is chaotic because I like to answer inline but OK ;-)

> testparm lists section [data1], [data2], and [data3], but
> they are not listed under services definitions?
see below

> How many users do you actually have? Do you have
> any files under /home/user1, /home/user2, etc. for
> these users?
currently: 1 active user: myself (uid 500) , the login which I use for samba and for the linux box itself to work on it. One inactive user (my wife ;-) uid 501) In the future I want more users (my kids are getting bigger :-). I have a "users" group (gid 100? I suppose).
But I want to share the /data1 etc. only with 1 user (me), this is more important and immediately urgent than the homes directory.

> If the owner of these files are not set correctly,
> you should find the uid and gid in the /etc/passwd
> file for these users and do a:
>
> chown -R uid1.gid1 /home/user1

Thank you, but what about the /data1,2,3 ? by whom should they be owned and in which group should they be for all this to work? This I don't understand.

> I guess that swat has changed the global settings
> for create and directory mask, but you still have
> to change the settings for the [homes] section.
swat did not change much - or I use it wrongly.

the real testparm output, I forgot some parts before:

p1g:/ # testparm
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Processing section "[data1]"
Processing section "[data2]"
Processing section "[data3]"
Processing section "[fun_data]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = HOME
        netbios name = xxxxxxxxxxxx
        server string = xxxxxxx
        interfaces = xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        update encrypted = Yes
        map to guest = Bad Password
        guest account = ftp
        log level = 2
        log file = /var/log/samba/client_log.%m
        max log size = 500
        debug hires timestamp = Yes
        time server = Yes
        socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
        os level = 1
        local master = No
        domain master = No
        wins support = Yes
        ldap suffix = dc=example,dc=com
        ldap ssl = no
        template homedir = /home/%U
        admin users = acl
        create mask = 0777
        directory mask = 0777
        veto files = /*.eml/*.nws/riched20.dll/*.{*}/

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        path = /home/%u
        valid users = %S