[Samba] problem with printing

py pyjunk at shaw.ca
Fri Sep 9 14:52:33 GMT 2005

Hi,

I have samba and a printer installed on a FreeBSD 4.11 machine and I am
trying to print from a WinXP machine in the same workgroup. This is for
a home network so I'm not too worry about security etc. I can see temp
files appear in the samba spool directory and the printer spool
directory, such as smbprn.00125.0vTiLi, lock, status, errs.FFOJqrb, etc.
Interestingly, the printer log file I defined is missing. But of course,
the reason I'm posting this is that nothing gets printed.

I tried various things I found on google, such as changing the guest
account from nobody to an account that can print, different print
command, turning on guest only, different create mode permission, etc.

File sharing across samba works just fine. I can also print with the
printer on the BSD machine. I'm using BSD printing style. The printer
shows up on WinXP as "access denied", but I heard it's a WinXP problem.

Here is my smb.conf

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 192.168.0.100 (192.168.0.100)
# Date: 2005/09/07 17:46:57

# Global parameters
[global]
   comment = FreeBSD Haven - Samba %v
   debuglevel = 5
   workgroup = TEST
   server string = BSD Samba Server
   security = SHARE
   encrypt passwords = No
   log file = /var/log/samba.log.%m
   max log size = 500
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   dns proxy = No
   printing = bsd
#    print command = lpr -s -P %p %s; rm %s
   print command = lpr -P %p -o raw %s -r
#    print command = logger %p %s
#    guest only = Yes

[printers]