[Samba] File permission problems

fluibgwef at netscape.net fluibgwef at netscape.net
Fri Sep 9 10:34:21 GMT 2005

Thanks Mogens for your response:
My answers below.

Have you moved the files and users from the old server?
==> no I transferred the physical disk. Normally the users are transferred too but this machine is just used as a server for my business and family data and I don't use it very much locally. Not only the homes are to be exported but also 3 disks /data1 to 3.

Are the owner of the home directories the one you would expect, i.e.
does the user xyz own the directory /home/xyz:
ls -ld /home/xyz
(replace xyz with some real owners).
==> the ownership of the /data1 /data2 /data3 and home/xxx directories is to root root
that might be it?
How do I change it (sorry newcomer's question) I know there is chown and chgrp but how do you apply them in this case?

What does the command testparm write?
==> testparm output below (thanks for reminding me, I haven't touched samba for 2 yrs...)
How come that the permission masks are not set to all 0777 as I supposedly changed them from swat? swat does not seem very reliable???

-------------------------------------
p1g:/ # testparm
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Processing section "[data1]"
Processing section "[data2]"
Processing section "[data3]"
Processing section "[fun_data]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = HOME
        netbios name = xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        server string = xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        interfaces = xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx0
        update encrypted = Yes
        map to guest = Bad Password
        guest account = ftp
        log level = 2
        log file = /var/log/samba/client_log.%m
        max log size = 500
        debug hires timestamp = Yes
        time server = Yes
        socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
        os level = 1
        local master = No
        domain master = No
        wins support = Yes
        ldap suffix = dc=example,dc=com
        ldap ssl = no
        template homedir = /home/%U
        admin users = acl
        create mask = 0777
        directory mask = 0777
        veto files = /*.eml/*.nws/riched20.dll/*.{*}/

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        path = /home/%u
        valid users = %S