[Samba] Samba 2.2.5 & Domain Administrator

Chris Roubekas croubekas at loutrakifm.gr
Fri Sep 9 09:47:04 GMT 2005

Although I will be updating this server to Samba 3.x soon, I have to come
up with a quick solution as soon as possible for the following problem:

I have a WinXP user which currently is registered as a "User" of WinXP
but must be changed to "Domain Admin" in order for some new
software which he must use to be operable. Of course giving him the root
passwd is definately out of the question.

I already have the "domain admin group = @domadm" parameter
in my smb.conf file and the only memeber of domadm is root.

I added via YAST the user to domadm group as well (was only
a member of "users" group) but when I try to use any Admin
issues in WinXP when the user logs in, I see that he doesn't have
the priviledges required. It appears that the user is not an
admin user as stated in smb.conf.

I have also tried "domain admin group = @domadm johnq" as well
(where johnyq is the username of the user which logs in) but still
nothing!

Does the user by any chance have to be a memeber only of the
domadm group or can he be a memeber of users & domadm
at the same time, or is this an irrelevant issue?

Thank you all for your help!
Chris

PS: SuSE 8.1 running Samba 2.2.5. Samba is running lovely for all
Win users (98, XP, 2000 etc) including the user in question, up
to now that I have to give hime Admin priviledges.