[Samba] File permission problems

Mogens Kjaer mk at crc.dk
Fri Sep 9 07:45:22 GMT 2005

fluibgwef at netscape.net wrote:
> Hi knowledgeable samba users,
> I had to upgrade from samba 2.2.0 on a suse linux server (7.2). Server died after two 2+ years of loyal services  - otherwise I would not have changed...
> Now I have a samba 3.0.9-2.6 on suse 9.1. I can access the files only r-x, i.e. all files appear as read only.

Have you moved the files and users from the old server?
Are the owner of the home directories the one you would expect, i.e.
does the user xyz own the directory /home/xyz:

ls -ld /home/xyz

(replace xyz with some real owners).

What does the command testparm write?

Mogens

Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08
Email: mk at crc.dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk