[Samba] multi-domain authentication

David F. Newman dnewman at maraudingpirates.org
Thu Sep 8 19:33:23 GMT 2005

On Thursday 08 September 2005 02:34, Michael Gasch wrote:
> David F. Newman wrote:
> > Can samba be used with security = server to authenticate a user in a
> > domain other than what the samba server is in?
> >
> > i.e. The samba server is set to workgroup NA and I have a user called
> > EU\joe that is trying to access a share but it seems it is checking the
> > password against NA\joe.  I have a username map of
> > joe		EU\joe
>
> i think you have to establish a trust between DOM NA and DOM EU - for
> this to work you have to deal with winbindd, too.
>
> mapping won't be sufficient until your users (joe & EU\joe) have the
> same passwords

I am not looking to authenticate shell access against a windows server.  I'm
only trying to authenticate access to smbd against a windows server.  I'm
using "security = server" with the password server set to the domain
controllers of my local domain.  There is a trust between the two domains.
But smbd only seems to authenticate users who are in the local domain.

-Dave