[Samba] Samba 3.0.20 winbindd problem on x86-64

Robin Hill Robin.Hill at biowisdom.com
Thu Sep 8 15:45:33 GMT 2005

We've been having some problems with winbind authentication recently
(on 3.0.13) so I've upgraded to 3.0.20 (including all the patches on
http://www.samba.org/samba/patches/).  This works perfectly on all our
32-bit systems but seems to break badly on the 64-bit systems.  Fetching
user and group lists (via 'wbinfo -u' and 'wbinfo -n') work fine, as
does looking up SIDs (via 'wbinfo -n').  Logging on using an ADS user
fails though (causing the winbindd server to lock up, which means all
user & group lookups then incur a huge delay) - I've narrowed this down
to the getgroups call (reproducible via 'wbinfo -r') but I can't follow
quite what this is doing in the code (It appears to call through to
schedule_async_request twice, hanging on the second call).

Any ideas?  Here's the smb.conf we're using:

[global]
        utmp = yes
        workgroup = BIOWISDOM
        server string = SAMBA
        time server = yes
        interfaces = 127.0.0.1 eth0
        bind interfaces only = true
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        security = ads
        realm = INTERNAL.BIOWISDOM.COM
        password server = *
        local master = no
        dns proxy = yes
        encrypt passwords = yes
        client plaintext auth = no
        client lanman auth = no
        client ntlmv2 auth = yes

        idmap backend = ldap:ldap://ls-ukdevel01.internal.biowisdom.com
        idmap uid = 10000-20000
        idmap gid = 10000-20000

Many thanks,
	Robin
--
Robin Hill
Linux Systems Administrator, BioWisdom Ltd.

The information contained in this message is likely to be confidential.  It is intended only for the person named above.  Any dissemination, distribution, copying, disclosure or use of this message or its contents unless authorised by BioWisdom Ltd is strictly prohibited. Any views or opinions expressed within this e-mail are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of BioWisdom Ltd. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify us and delete it.  Thank you.  BioWisdom Ltd, Harston Mill, Harston, Cambridge, CB2 5GG.  Tel: +44 (0)1223 874800, Fax: +44 (0) 1223 874801, Internet:www.biowisdom.com